How Can I Get to Know God Better?
God desires to have a close personal relationship with you.
Psalm 42:1 should be the heart cry of every child of God; just like the psalmist we should have an intense desire for His presence. There are many things in our lives that take up our time. All of these things can compete with our desire to spend time with God. But He desires to spend time with us daily and to have an intimate relationship with His children.
Your new position in Christ, gives you the privilege of having access to God.
- You are “no longer foreigners and aliens, but fellow citizens with God’s people and members of God’s household” (Ephesians 2:19).
- Because of God’s grace, you can now come to God in prayer anytime, any place, in any and all circumstances. (Romans 5:2; Ephesians 6:18)
You are important to the Lord.
- According to Psalm 8:4-5, man holds a special place in creation.
Your past does not disqualify you from having a close relationship with God.
- According to Romans 3:23, “All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God”. This means that, no one is righteous enough on his own to fellowship with God, who is perfectly holy. Instead of deserving access and a relationship with our Creator, we deserve death and hell—everlasting separation from Him. However, Jesus took the guilt of our sin on Himself and gave us the gift of eternal life, (Romans 6:23)
Developing an intimate relationship requires a commitment.
- This means you must make it a priority. Anything important is worth the time, so invest a significant amount of time in getting to know your Heavenly Father. Choose a place that is quiet and free from distractions. If you have to, mark it on your calendar and keep the appointment just like you would with anyone else.
Include Bible reading in your quiet time with the Lord.
- This a priority and shouldn’t be neglected. Reading and meditating on Scripture will teach you the ways of the Lord, you will learn of his vast number of promises to each believer, and His word will reveal areas of your life that need His correction.
How to Study Your Bible
Pray without ceasing.
- The Bible tells us we can bring everything to God in prayer. You can now come boldly to the throne of Grace and lay your petitions before Him. (Hebrews 4:14-16)
Isn't it wonderful to know that God desires to hear from you. Continually and in all circumstances, His ears are open to your cry. Seek Him daily until your heart cries out like the Psalmist, "my soul pants for you, my God".
Return to New Christian Resources